Types of men's Topknot hairstyles (top knot)
Men's top knot is becoming more and more popular and arouses great interest among real fashionistas who want to follow trends. What features does this styling option have? Top Knot hairstyles and haircuts, their types and variations are today worn by Hollywood stars, trendy hipsters and freelance artists. But how to achieve a flawless performance of the "male bun" on the back of the head, and what is needed for this?
Features of the hairstyle
The popular today men's hairstyle Top Knot is a variation on the trend that conquered the world about 10 years ago. Then male bun or man bun conquered the world, being at the peak of popularity among Hollywood playboys, freelance artists, surfers and high-tech creative youth.
The brutal image for long-haired representatives of the stronger sex at first became a kind of continuation of the traditions of Ancient Greece, but rather quickly acquired oriental features that were previously unusual for it.
Top knot refers specifically to the Japanese direction of stylization, when the bun on the crown and back of the head is accompanied by shaving of the temples and clear contours. They can have different lengths, but are always shorter than the bulk of the hair on top.
Top knot does not require an obligatory combination with a beard, it allows you to wear both strands collected in a bun and connected in a fashionable tail. This trendy and stylish hairstyle suits men of different heights, ages and builds.
Differences between topknot and man bun
If topknot is a variety of man bun, what are the differences? There are still some features.
- The form. In the area of the temples, crown and back of the head, hair of medium length is left in the man bun. In Top knot, these hairstyles are most often shaved or significantly shortened. There is also an option in which the whiskey is not shortened, and the strands are pulled high into the tail.
- Length. A neat hairstyle is considered optimal for a top knot, in which strands up to 15 cm are collected. At the same time, the length may differ at the back of the head and crown, and the bun or tail itself is located lower, approximately on the line of the middle of the ear.
- Additional style elements. Top knot has become a kind of response to the desire of men to keep a clean-shaven face in combination with a fashionable hairstyle. If a man bun definitely requires a beard and mustache complement, providing the necessary brutality and correction of facial proportions, the top knot allows you to emphasize the natural appeal of the image.
Who is it suitable for?
Top Knot is the hairstyle most often chosen by men with long, well-groomed hair. It looks especially good in combination with straight and smooth dark strands, allowing you to maintain the severity of the Japanese samurai style. But owners of slightly curly hair can also try on a fashionable image without prejudice to their own image, they just need to slightly increase the length of the curls and collect them not at the crown, but lower. The hair straightening procedure will help to enhance the effect.
Top Knot is a haircut that looks good as it grows back. It does not require too frequent updating, and the longer the strands in the bun become, the more effective the image looks as a whole.
But there are several important points: this hairstyle is contraindicated for people with thinning hair, as well as for those who have an elongated, thin face with sharp features.
In this case a haircut will only unsuccessfully emphasize the features and problems in appearance... But for men with a rounded face oval, this hairstyle helps balance the features, makes them more interesting and proportional.
What haircut can you choose as a base?
A basic top knot haircut is man bun, mohawk or undercut. Since all 3 options provide the necessary comfort when creating a bun in the parietal region or at the crown of the head, you can cut your hair in different ways or even leave it long and tied high at the back of the head.
If you still decide to follow the classical canon, you should proceed according to the following scheme:
- divide the hair into zones, horizontally cutting off the future bundle, secure with a clip;
- divide the temporal and occipital regions vertically;
- first remove the total length at the back and sides;
- completely shave off the side parts or smoothly shade;
- the back of the head is processed with a typewriter by analogy with the temples;
- from the forehead to the crown of the head, there is a narrow or wide strip of long hair;
- if the tips of the main part are split, they are trimmed;
- it is possible to thin strands in a bundle for soft contouring.
On evenly long hair, the top knot is created by highlighting the crown-parietal part. Hair here is collected in a ponytail at the crown or back of the head, fixed with an elastic band in a bun, loop, tail, depending on the characteristics of the basic hairstyle.
Exists 4 basic top knot hairstyles.
- With completely shaved temples and the back of the head. The hair is kept long in a circle, from the bangs to the crown, and in the hair is collected in a high ponytail at the crown of the head, and then pulled into a bun.
- Fitatsu-yori. The classic samurai bun, implying a radical difference in hair length. They are shortened at the temples, the back of the head, forming a clear border. At the crown and in the parietal region, the length of 15 cm is maintained, the bundle is collected high and is worn only in the knot.
- Mitsu-ori. Suitable for those who are not ready for radical changes. In this version, the top knot is made on straight long hair, first tied into a ponytail, treated with cosmetic oil, folded forward in half, unfolded, and fixed. The ends of the hair are at the back, and a sloppy bun is formed on the crown, closer to the crown.
- Chasen-gami. Provides collecting hair not in a bun, but in a knot on the back of the head, while the ends are directed forward, and the smooth part of the collected "tail" looks back. Styling requires a rich natural volume of hair, a sharp contrast of lengths at the crown, temples and back of the head.
How to grow your hair to the correct length?
It doesn't take too much effort to grow your top knot hair. It will be optimal to first keep the strands equally long over the entire head, so that the master can later give the haircut the correct shape.
A length of 15 cm allows you to make a Japanese male bun - this is enough for most classic versions of hairstyles, while the image will not be too romantic or free.
To improve the quality of hair during its growing period, you can carry out a lamination procedure or a course of masks that stimulate blood circulation in the scalp, prevent the formation of split ends. From short hair, the transition should be smooth through quiff haircuts, cascade and other model options.
How do you know if your hair has grown enough or not? It is worth applying them to the palm from root to tip. If the strands correspond to the length of a man's hand from fingers to wrist, they can already be folded into an elegant knot top, laconic and strict. For fancy options for this hairstyle, you can leave a large length of hair in the area of \ u200b \ u200bthe bangs and crown.
How to lay it right?
Top Knot styling involves the use of an elastic band or leather hair straps. The basis of the hairstyle is to pull the elongated strands high on the crown or closer to the crown, with giving them the appropriate direction by folding the free end into a bundle.
The order of actions at home will be as follows.
- Hair before styling should be washed with shampoo, treated with conditioner balm or leave-in products for smoothing. Dry and comb the strands.
- Tilt the head forward to facilitate collection of the tail. Comb the hair thoroughly, join them together, fix.
- After securing the collected long strands with an elastic band, you can return to an upright position.
- The remaining free end of the tail must be wrapped around 2 fingers on the hand, the resulting bundle must be secured with 1 more turn of elastic (it should be quite tight).
It is very important that the hair in a Top Knot hairstyle is always clean, well combed and straight.
Only in this case the chosen image will look organic and fashionable. Sloppy Japanese styling, which requires strict geometry, is unacceptable.
Interesting ideas and examples
We bring to your attention some beautiful examples.
- The original top knot to increase the volume, laid in a braid, several times tied at the end.
- Top Knot on pretty long hair. The hairstyle is gathered in a bun, the rest of the hair is shaved to the same length, the silhouette goes well with a neat beard and mustache.
- Top knot on elongated hair, gathered in a knot at the crown. A good example of a fashionable combination of long male hair and brutal design of the temporal part of the head.
In the next video, you can watch the creation of the Top Knot Stop Motion hairstyle step by step.